Sunday, January 22, 2012

Hurry Up and Speed Date

Yes I went to a speed dating event this past week. I try to remain upbeat and positive but it really does get harder and harder to pump myself up to upbeat and positive when the same 20 men show up to these events and they are socially retarded and ageist pigs.

I'd really like to know how much longer I am supposed to be the bigger one sitting at the dating table when I am asked "How long have you lived in NYC?"

For all the clueless women out there who just don't get what is wrong with that question let me make it clear to you. Asking HOW LONG you lived anywhere is a way to ask you without being blunt, " How old are you?"

It's ageist and rude.

So I think that the single guys of NYC better watch out because the very next one that asks me that question is going to see a ruler pulled out from my bag. It will be marked with a BLACK SHARPIE with an arrow pointing to the number ----> 6 inches.  And my answer is going to be, " I have a better question for you Sir. Can you tell me if you measure up before I waste any of my time talking with you further?"

Let me be clear, I'm not looking for perfect. It is a pathetic fairy-tale that doesn't exist. I'm looking for a good guy with shared values that makes me laugh and is easy to get along with and have fun with.

Instead I'm paying to go to these Hurry Up (that's kind of the name of the organization hint hint) Speed Dates where closeted gay men that were the doppleganger for Sue Heck's gay boyfriend Brad showed up along with pompous ass "physicians" who didn't have a lick of interest in what I did for a living and while I was in mid-sentence looked at the women sitting next to me and tuned me out.

One of my favorite moments of the night was recognizing a gentleman but not being able to remember why. Apparently he remembered me too. He refused to sit with me when it was our turn. And then I remembered and I leaned to the woman sitting next to me and told her I had met him a few months ago from online dating. While he invited me to a restaurant at 6pm, dinner time, he didn't want to leave the bar area. He texted me ahead of time that I should get him a beer before he showed up and then talked incessantly talked about some bullshit writing project of his that was about to make him a ton of money. After an hour I had enough and said nice to meet you and ended the date. He didn't walk me the three blocks to the train and I nicely emailed him that I thought we'd make nice friends. But I guess that makes me a nasty person in his eyes unworthy of being civil to at a Hurry Up and Speed Date event.


And while the pirate didn't show up to this event the Prick did.